Hypnobirthing

Friday, May 05, 2006
I have been thinking about taking some birthing classes but I don't know which ones are better than the other. I just read about Hypno Birthing. Has anyone experienced birth through this technique or been through the classes. I like the idea of it, I just don't know if Adam and I are patient enough to learn the relaxation techniques! I have also been thinking a lot about a water at home birth. There is a doctor in a town near us that will assist in this. I am just not comfortable with the hospital birthing experience and if I go into labour in the middle of the night I will end up with the doctor who is on call. I am not comfortable with that. I think too, I would feel a lot more comfortable in my own home. I really love my OB, but there is no guarantee that he will deliver my baby. I am unsure of broaching the topic with him because I am afraid that he will be offended. I know it is my choice but I don't want to burn my bridges! Also, we live about 40 minutes from the nearest hospital, so if something were to go wrong we are a good distance away from help. When my cousin went to the same hospital to have her baby they just did what they wanted to with her. Gave her the pip drip etc and she never thought to ask what they were doing. I know I would never be that passive, I would want to know what they were doing to me at all times. But I have heard stories about how the nurses have the attitude that they know best. I know they do this for a living but I also think a woman knows her body best and I want to be heard on the most important day of my and my baby's life. I have thought about hiring a doula, but all the ones I have met in this area I have not felt comfortable with. I would really like to have a drug free birth. I know that might sound unrealistic, but it's how I imagine my baby's birth. I am deathly afraid of the epidural. I had a friend go paralyzed from one and she had to have emergency surgery to correct the problem. Luckily, she ok today with very little issues but she missed so much of her baby's first couple years of his life due to the mishap. I don't want that. I know that is one story out of a thousand. But I want to be able to get up and walk if I want to and not be confined to a bed for God knows how many hours. I think I will call the water birth doctor and see how I feel about him and what he has to offer. Then once I speak to him, I will speak to Dr Mundle about if he thinks that would be the best plan for us, giving my post opness!
Anyway, if anyone can share their birth experiences I would greatly appreciate it. What techniques you learned before hand, or if you just winged it!! If you had a home birth, water birth etc. I would love to gather as much info as I can.
Thank you in advance.
posted by tammy at 5/05/2006 10:58:00 PM | Permalink |

[ back home ]

Comments for Hypnobirthing
Tammy --

I used hypnobirthing with my last two babies and am SO glad I took the courses. I have my newset baby's birth story online, you can find it here.

I would definitely recommend it to all pregnant women. Even if you're planning on having an epidural the second you get checked into L&D, sometimes it doesn't happen that way and you have to get through this very intense experience without any pain meds. It's best to be prepared.

Hi Tammy =)

You have plenty of time before the birth, so if having a doula is something that interests you, keep looking until you bond with one! Mine was beyond awesome, and we didn't even know about doulas until right before I delivered. We clicked really well, and it was so nice to have someone else on our side, because as it tunrs out, not only didn't I get my OB, but the one who showed up to "catch" was actually one I didn't like.

I don't feel comfortable in hospitals either, so I did most of my laboring at home with my doula. She had different exercises and positions for meto do during labor that managed to turn the baby the right way and speed up my labor. I am a BIG baby about pain, but I had natural childbirth, a labor that was just short of nine hours start to finish, and by the tie I got to the hospital I was at 8 cm and almost done! I felt it was a good compromise between a home birth and hospital birth (there turned out to be meconium in her birth waters, so I was glad to be in a hospital after all).

Good for you, being so proactive so soon! I think I was still asleep at the start of my second trimester!

Thank you ladies for your words of wisdom. I will for surely put them to good use. I will keep updated on what happens!

The Author

The life and times of a mother, her ever adorable sons and the crazy antics of her husband.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

I am a thirty something married, mother of two boys, a three year old and a one year old. I knew I would love motherhood, but I never expected to love it as much as I do. I am a SAHM and love being able to raise my sons. It is trying somedays but we are making it by keeping our sense of humour!

Links

Credits

Graphic & template manipulation :
Milenka
Original template copyright :
V4NY ONLY TEMPLATES
Powered by :
Powered by 

Blogger